Turnbull Clan Association

Places of Interest

Turnbull Wine Cellars

Turnbull Wine Cellars

Images from Turnbull Wine Cellars

Date: 2000s

Location: Napa Valley, California, USA

Notes: Formerly Johnson Turnbull Cellars, the winery was renamed Turnbull Wine Cellars in 1993 when original owners Johnson and Turnbull sold the winery to Patrick O’Dell.  (www.turnbullwines.com)

Trimble Field

Trimble Field

Baseball field named after Private Jimmy Trimble who died in Japan while on a volunteer reconnaissance mission with the Third Marine Division of Guam.  “Private Trimble was an outstanding member of the Third Marine Division All-Star baseball team,” announced Major General Graves Erskine, Division commander. “His name will not be forgotten and his brave spirit will continue to inspire us in the tough battles that lie ahead.”

Date: 1945

Location: The Territory of Guam, Western Pacific Ocean

Notes: James “Jimmy” Trimble III was born in Bethesda, Maryland in 1926.  Trimble attended a St. Albans School in Washington, DC, where he was a star athlete. He playedfootball, captained the basketball team and stunned onlookers with his blistering fastball and hard breaking curve. In his time at St Albans, Trimble hurled three no-hitters and was never defeated.  He was offered a contract to play professional ball with the Senators and given a full scholarship to Duke University to play.  He put his career on hold and enlisted in the Marine Corps.  He had the opportunity to pitch for the Third Marine Division baseball team on Guam. Pitching against many former professional players, Trimble had phenomenal success, including a string of 21 straight wins. He also pitched in the Little World Series and became quite a celebrity in camp.  Private Trimble died in combat in 1945.

The Impartial Reporter

The Impartial Reporter

Office of The Impartial Reporter newspaper.  The newspaper is the longest producing paper of Fermanach, Ireland.  It was founded by William C. Trimble in 1825.

Location: Fermanach, Ireland

Note: http://www.impartialreporter.com

Fatlips Restoration Completed!


Fatlips 1857  fatlips before  Fatlips scaffold  Fatlips032513 8 1

Fatlips Castle as it stood in 1857; 2004 with roof deteriorating and parapet badly damaged; 2012 during restorations, roof
first to be repaired; 2013 restorations complete. Note the similarties of the 1857 and today's 2013.

Fatlips Castle, a 16th century pele tower of rectangular stone was founded by the Turnbulls of Barnhill. It is located at the top of Minto Crags in Roxburghshire, Scotland.

Read more ...

Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island the "New World" Scotland

NSNova pic2

NSNova Map1In 1621, King James I of England, renamed the islands off the eastern coast of Canada from Acadia to Nova Scotia. Eight years later groups of Scots settled at Charlesfort, near Port Royal, and at Rosemar, on Cape Breton Island.
From the 1770’s to the 1830’s, a large emigration to these islands began. Nova Scotia became a British colony with new settlers. It was a promise of a better life for the Scottish Highlanders as land ownership in Scotland was rare. They were promised 200 acres of land when they arrived. Some were allocated much more.
This new land had been recovered from the French settlers, who had been forcibly removed by the British a little earlier. Most were returned to Europe, however, some settlers went westward to new uncharted territory now known as Quebec. Others escaped and went into hiding until the pressure of being deported was over.
The New Scottish and Irish settlers were located around the Bay of Fundy, Cape Breton Island and along the coast of the Northumberland shores. Yet another island also became very popular for emigrants. This was the northern and nearby Prince Edward Island. The Gaels made their communities very homogenous and, as a result, made up a large and culturally diverse Scottish influence throughout these islands.

Read more ...

The Old Manse Bedrule

Bedrule, birthplace of William Turnbull, (Bishop of Glasgow from 1448 to 1454)


Bedrule Kirk

"From the pavements, from the windows of houses, and from trams, buses and motor cars, whose, occupants for once cheerfully, acquiesced in a traffic hold-up. Glasgow folk watched a long chain of fire pass on Saturday night from the Cathedral to the heights of Gilmore hill." Thus the writer in the Glasgow Herald of January 8, 1951. described; a seen that had its beginnings over 500 years earlier, in Roxburghshire. For in the tiny hamlet of Bedrule, between Hawick and Jedburgh, was born William Turnbull who became 25th Bishop of Glasgow from 1448 to 1454, and the man responsible for the founding of Glasgow University in 1451. So it was appropriate that when the University was, celebrating its 500th centenary, a thread of fire symbolising the torch of learning should have been carried by a relay of 12  runners over the 100 miles from the Borders to the city.

Read more ...

The Old Church Bedrule

An excerpt from, The Churches and Churchyards of Teviotdale.
By James Robson. 1893.

Bedrule KirkConcerning the old church of Bedrule we know very little. About the earliest notice refers to 1479 when James Newton was parson of Bedrule. It is recorded also, that in 1482, James Rutherford of that ilk obtained a charter of the patronage. Subsequently to the Reformation. it was attached to the barony of "Edgarstoun", and belonged to the Earl of Traquair, who ,had at the same time the lands of Rutherford. The present building occupies an elevated situation on the right bark of the river Rule, two miles above its junction with the Teviot. It was restored in 1876. Only a portion o' the old walls remains, while a vestry and porch were added. The surrounding scenery is exceedingly fine. From the church an excellent view is to be had up the water to Hobkirk, over to Cavers parish, and across the Teviot to Minto. From the vestry window is obtained one of the finest views in the South of Scotland, including the beautifully wooded estate of Wells, which lines the skirts of Ruberslaw, while the dark hill itself towers up far above, and its rugged peak from this point presents the most picturesque appearance.

Read more ...

Ebenezer Church

New South Wales, Australia

In reference to Ebenezer Church Celebrates 200th Year, Bullseye, Volume 9, Issue 8, October, 2009

Of those eight free seebenezer250cttlers who arrived in Australia on the Coromandel in 1802, six were Scottish.  Only John Howe and William Stubbs were considered to be English. John Howe was from Redbourne in Lancashire & William Stubbs ancestry is not known, though he may have been from Northumberland of Scottish descent, as was the case with many many Northumbrians in the 17/18th centuries.

Of the fifteen families involved in the construction of the old church 1808/09, it's a fact that they all became related, by marriage and birth, one way or another. In those early days there were very few young people in the colony, so choosing a partner depended on one’s means of transport. It was either a boat up and down the river or by horse, if you could afford to own one.

Read more ...

  • All
  • Bedrule
  • Fatlips
  • Places
Non-Profit Status
Borders area sites
Travel Tips
Photo Galleries
View Pictures
Bitty Bulls Games & Fun
Just for Kids